Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Surprise Surprise





Friday afternoon was a weird one. After returning home with arms laden with sushi I discovered that I had a phone message. All I knew was that it was something concerning dentistry and that I had to call some dental school somewhere back.
I rang up and was offered a place to study Dentistry at UQ. I accepted and will start next week. It is a first year entry degree so there are a lot of young-uns. I think I will be the token mature age. It will be 5 years until I graduate but the only other option is to work year to year in research(of which I am well and truly sick of). I will be working a few hours a week in the lab to get a bit of pocket money while going to uni, at least while the workload permits.
Everyone has been really supportive concerning my quarter life crisis. Everyone says they hate the dentist but keep telling me they want free checkups so what can you do?
We went to Tash and Duncan's place for a barbecue on saturday.
They had these weird plastic teeth just to encourage me. They also bought me a nice plant for my study area so I can get a fresh hit of oxygen while I study.
On Monday I had orientation at the dental school. It looked very interesting but it is very overwhelming to see everything in the space of a couple of hours. It was very surreal walking into a room where 50 dentist drills were going at the same time(not for those that hate the sound of it).
I won't be spending too much time there until 2nd year when we start to do some of the more clinical aspects.
Not much else to write really, but will keep you posted on things as they unfold.
I am putting a few photos on here from saturday night and others I have taken when I'm bored. El is off at band tonight so I've been left to entertain myself.

3 comments:

chakra_9 said...

Congratulations again tiger!!!

appletopping said...

congrats geoff!!! :D
hrm... hope you enjoy halitosis! :|

Bron said...

Yeahah for Geoff!!! I heard the news from Mum but thought I would put my two cents in. Great news. Now El you just have to make some sweet money while Geoffers is studying... ;)

I tried calling you the other day (last week I think) but no-one was home. I guess you got the message. I am going to get on to you though! Haven't spoken to you in ages.

Love to you both. Reading your blogs is great - especially when you have a slack sister over here who hasn't even replied to your email yet :)

Take care of that student boy of yours...

Hugs...