Friday, July 20, 2007

Camping underwater


Here is our luxury accomodation. Ignore the grey sky.
The lads out for a spot of fishingJulissa and Katherine enjoying a break from the rain.

The wet McGregors.
Demon Kangaroo.

The new way to enjoy a campfire. Wet, cold, miserable. Not yet drunk enough to not feel the cold. Drunk enough to stay in the rain a little longer waiting for it to stop.

El likes sitting in the rain too. Until her chair filled with water and she almost drowned.
Isla hitching a ride with dad. Geoff smiling sweetly for camera. Duncan not so happy later when Geoff wanted a go.

Well. Its been far too long since we put stuff up on this blog. It is even harder now that the keyboard has died after having red wine spilt in it. We are constantly fighting the 1 key and the 2 key wants no part of it either.

I have recently turned very old(according to El) and turned the big 30. My eyes and bones feel the age, I got new be-spectacles and feel smart now but this cold weather is wreaking havoc with me old bones.

At least at uni where I spend the far majority of my time, the kiddies keep me feeling young, just like a spring chicken. El says I am rambling but she doesn’t have the wisdom that only comes with the age that I have.

I survived my first semester of second year. It has been more full on than I thought it would be. We spent six weeks doing anatomy of the entire head and neck and had to try to memorise all the little branches of all the arteries, all the veins, all the muscles, all the nerves, all the bones, all the connections and so on. Then we had to do other parts learning about the heart, a crash course in pharmacology and respiration and so on and so forth. We had exams at the end of the 1st semester and a third of the class failed the exams for this one subject. Luckily I wasn’t one of them and don’t have to sit any supps.

But that’s enough on uni, El is sitting here pestering me to talk about camping.

After my exams we went down to northern NSW to go camping with friends. Tash and Dunk and their little girl and Julissa and Jason and kids came down to go camping at Bundjalung national park.

The days leading up to our camping trip were wet and miserable and unfortunately the camping trip weather wise was not much better. WE did get two days of semi-dry camping in before torrential rain and cold temperatures drove us away. Poor Julissa and Jason’s tent turned into a shower on the 1st night so we rigged up a tarp to protect them the next night.

We pretty much had the entire campground to ourselves except for the other brave souls that were out in the elements. One night the group of us sat around the fire with umbrellas trying to enjoy the atmosphere. There is only so much cold that the fire and green ginger wine can take away when your back is wet and it is cold.

It was Dunk and Tash’s first camping trip with Isla and hopefully they were not too traumatized by the experience. It was still a great trip though. Better weather would be nice, but at least we set up camp when it was dry. Pulling everything down in the rain was a bit annoying, and the kids loved being in the rain.

Besides, I don’t know if we had enough beer to last another night anyway.

So here we are now, back in Brissy. I’m back into the swing of uni reliving my nightmares of T cells etc as I endure Immunology lectures. So much detail. Seems so crappy and irrelevant. El had a fun day mashing up mouse livers. She is glad the week is over.

That’s enough crazy old man ranting now.

See you later dudes.

Geoff( El is sitting here being the punctuation police- but I don’t care,./)…!

4 comments:

Bron said...

Sweet dudes...you're always good for a laugh Geoff (or should I say grandpa G now? :)

And I can just picture El sitting there correcting you too.

Anonymous said...

Ha haha u are so funny Geoff. Camping was fun indeed and the same as you we hope we did not scare Tash and Dunc away from camping. and for Isla I am sure she is ready for the next round hahahahahaah. well take care and good luck for the next term at uni. Catch you guys sometime soon.

chakra_9 said...

Camping... did someone say camping.... ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!


No, really, we all had a great time and can't wait to go again. We certainly know what we need for camping when it's raining!!!

earthkissed said...

Sounds like you would enjoy camping with us. Sometimes it's not just the rain. Sometimes the wind gets so strong that some people's tent lays almost flat (although it does pop back up when the wind dies down).