Saturday, January 08, 2005

Staying in Jasper

Hey everyone, looks like we will be staying in Jasper for a while. El has landed a sales job at Marmot Basin Ski resort which is just outside Jasper. We were supposed to stay in Calgary and see Banff but we made a mad dash to get back to Jasper for an interview at the ski hill. Looks like it was worth it. I am also supposed to have a job for a couple of days a week being a switchboard operator up at the resort. I get to play with phones and talk to people. Pay for either of our jobs is not like what we get being scientists, but it should be enough to get by and not use our savings. We will probably be looking for a house to rent soon.
I am having to amuse myself while El goes up slaving away at the ski hill. When we work up there we can ski for free. Not that it is of any use to me at the moment. I will have to learn to ski first. Hopefully if I get a couple of days a week it will pick up and I will get more work.
We are staying in a house at the moment and are renting the top floor. It has a provate bathroom, fridge and kettle but no kitchen.
We have postponed our trip to toronto until the end of may. At the moment it is more miserable over there than here, and here we have the rocky mountains to look at every morning. I wonder whether we won't notice them by the time we are ready to leave.
The days are cold, as people would expect. Yesterday I had to use an outdoor pay phone for half an hour in a blizzard to change flights and cancel some hostel bookings. My fingers felt like they were going to fall off.
It is still dark at 9am in the morning so it is often hard for El to get up at six to get ready for work. There is a shuttle service that picks her up at the door, so it should be the same shuttle that I will be getting. Whether I have two days a week of work or 4 is yet to be determined.
Hope everyone is not to sad about going back to work. We didn't want to work, but this travel business is bloody expensive.
Hope everyone is well
Geoff and el (el is working today), I am out and about

No comments: